Page Design

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cupcake Cake Bites/ Pops!

Because I am a HUGE Cupcake fan, these are the Cake Bites I make, by far, the most! I also like them because they are 1/2 white chocolate and 1/2 chocolate! These are very simple to make even if you don't have the "special" mold! I have made a few Cake Bite/ Pop posts in the past, but I'm going to try to be very thorough with this particular post!
(Look at my Frankenstein Cake Pops and my Wedding Cake Pops!)
One more thing I feel I should mention, double the recipe (use 2 boxes of cake mix and 1 whole container of frosting) if you plan on feeding them to more than 4 people! You would be surprised how many of these things get ate so fast by so few people! =D
What You Will Need:
1 Cake Mix (I always use Red Velvet by Duncan Hines!)
1/2 Container of Frosting (I always use Cream Cheese!)
1 Bag of Semi- Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 Bag of White Chocolate Chips (I usually only end up using 1/2 the bag.)
Sprinkles!
Peanut Butter Cup Candy Mold, 1 inch size (Optional. I will show you a way to make these without it. It only helps with the "details," but not with "time" which is why I usually don't use them.)
What You're Gonna Do!:
In a bowl mix together the cake mix according to it's package directions!
Pour the cake batter into a 9x13 pan and bake according to package directions.
Once the cake is done baking, let it cool for 45- 60 minutes. You do not want the cake to be cooled completely! You want it to be very slightly warm!
(The reason for this is, if the cake is completely cooled you will end up using the whole container of frosting. Making the cake dough too sweet and too gooey.)
Crumble the not quite cooled cake, into a bowl.
Add 1/2 of the container of frosting!
Mix until the crumbled cake and frosting form a dough! Freeze the dough for 2 hours for easier handling!
Use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop out the dough.
Divide the 1/4 cup of dough into 4 balls. This is my way of attempting to get all of the Cake Bites the same size. And the PERFECT bite size!
Repeat this process until all of the dough are formed into bite size cake balls.
Melt the bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips with 2 tsp. Shortening.
This is my attempt at a homemade double boiler! The idea is to put 1 inch of water in the saucepan and turn the heat on. The water will turn into steam and melt the chocolate in the bowl above. Remove from heat once chocolate is melted.
Fill the Peanut Butter Cup molds 1/2 way with chocolate.
(Here are the ones I have, I got mine at Michael's. They are okay but one day I want these nice silicone molds. They seem like they would be easier to get the chocolate out and to clean afterwards.)
Make sure one side of the cake balls is flat.
Making sure the flat side of the cake ball is facing downwards, squish into the chocolate molds making the chocoate squeeze up the sides.
Freeze for 1 hour.
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MOLDS.... this is also my "cheat" version, since it's quicker.
I use a corn cob holder to help in the dipping process.
Dip in the chocolate, tap off any excess. If for some reason the dough starts sliding off the corn cob holder, just refreeze the dough for another 30- 60 minutes.
Place on waxed paper, chocolate side down.
Place in the freezer for 1 hour before starting the other side.
Melt 1 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips with 1 1/2 tsp. shortening.
To make the "Bites" just use the corn cob holder again, for "Pops" spear the bottoms with lollipop sticks.
Dip the tops in white chocolate. Make sure your sprinkles are close at hand because you want to add the spinkles immediatley after dipping them. With the cake bites being frozen, the chocolate hardens FAST!
Here is the finished Cupcake Bites!!! Look at that detail from the candy molds!
This is what the Cupcake Pops look like!
These are the "cheat" version.
The "cheat" version don't look that bad though!
A bowl of deliciousness!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment