Page Design

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Ice Cream Cake


I whipped one of these up the other day and couldn't resist sharing it with all my friends! I'm sure you could figure out how I did this just by looking at the picture, but I'll quickly walk you through it anyways! I love how I made it all Valentine-sy! I used pink flowers to decorate and added Valentine sprinkles to the softened ice-cream!
I used a "doctored" cake mix which I HIGHLY suggest! It's the BEST cake recipe ever and you can use it with any cake mix you wish! I also used a homemade buttercream frosting. (Darren and I disagree with what you frost an ice-cream cake with. He says Cool Whip only, but he's not a fan of frosting anyways, and I say it's a cake and therefore needs frosting! lol! So I threw in a carton of Cool Whip with my frosting. It made it alot more light and airy and turned out great! It's all about the compromises!) To get to my point, you can easily cheat and use a regular cake mix and/ or use a carton of pre-made frosting or Cool Whip.

Ice Cream Layer:

You will need: 1 Carton of Ice Cream (I used Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip, yes it's white not green!) a
 sprinkles and/ or food dye if desired
Soften the ice-cream until it is a "soft serve" consistency! Mix in any sprinkles, food coloring, or extras you will want in your ice-cream! Line an 8 or 9 inch springform pan with wax paper, making sure it goes up the sides, then fill the springform with the softened ice-cream. Try to get it as level as possible, then lay it on a small cookie sheet, it might leak a bit, and pop it in the freezer until solid.
I just left mine in the freezer overnight. I only have 1 springform pan, so I had to pop the ice-cream out, wrap it in saran wrap, and pop the ice-cream layer back in the freezer until I was ready to assemble the cake!
Look how pretty that is!!!!

For the Cake Layer:

1 Cake Mix (I used Chocolate)
1 small Pkg. Instant Pudding, be sure it matches your cake flavor! (ie. Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Pudding, Red Velvet Cake and Chocolate Pudding, Vanilla Cake and Vanilla Pudding, etc!)
1 C. Sour Cream
1.2 C. Oil
1/2 C. Water
4 Eggs
1-2 C. Chocolate Chips (I prefer Minis!)

Cake Directions:

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl until well combined. Line 2, 9 inch (or 8 inch) Springform Pans (be sure to use the same size pan as you did with your ice-cream layer!) with Parchment Paper and grease the sides really well! Pour the batter evenly into the 2 springform pans, or divide it evenly if you are working with just 1 pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Pop the cakes out of the pan, that's the beauty of springforms!, and let them sit until completely cooled Level off the cakes if you need to.

Buttercream & Cool Whip Frosting:

If you choose. You can also use a different frosting or just Cool Whip:

1 C. Crisco
4 C. Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla (if you want Pure White Frosting, use clear Vanilla!)
1/3 C. Heavy Cream
1 Carton of Cool Whip
In a mixer beat the Crisco for 8 minutes, it will get super light and fluffy, then add the powdered sugar, salt, vanilla and heavy cream. Mix well! Stir in the Cool Whip! Tip: because I added the Cool Whip, this frosting does not do well at room temp, keep it in the fridge until ready to use.

Assembly!!!

This part is easy! Just assemble it as follows cake, ice-cream, cake!
Now that it's assembled, you can frost and decorate it however you wish! To make roses on my cake I first made an even frosting layer on the cake! The roses are really easy, but you need the right tip! I have no idea what this tip is called, but I got it at Wal-Mart for $3! Then all you do is make a circle starting from the inside and then work your way out. Check out this video for a quick visual!
You girls should all go make this for your Sweetie for V-day! He would be so impressed and you don't have to tell him how easy it was to make, because it looks like alot more work than it is! Good Luck!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Alyssa! You are so cute! I love all your comments, they make me want to continue this blog for my fam and friends! And just because I'm curious, what do you frost your ice cream cakes with? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea!!! I made this cake for Tyson on Valentines day and it was a hit! Thank you for always coming up with great ideas when I have none :)
    Love, Brianne

    ReplyDelete