Page Design

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fried Ice Cream!



Last weekend we took a mini family vacay to Salt Lake City! Waaaahoooo! And while we were there, we ate at the legendary Red Iguana Restaurant! Aaaaaaa-MAZING mexican food! Darren still talks about their food with his mouth watering. Haha.
While we were at the restaurant I convinced Darren to order the Fried Ice-Cream! I am a sucker for ice-cream, my very favorite being Cookie Dough, but we'll get back to that later! We expected the regular ol' Joe Shmoe, run of the mill, Fried Ice-cream we've had hundreds of times before, (ya know, the ones with cornflakes) BUT we were FLOORED when we saw this masterpiece! It's what I call the "Insta-Love!" I knew I'd have to re-create it when I got home! I hoped it was as easy as I assumed it would be and I was pleasantly surprised that it was!

You Will Need:

Tortillas- I used Don Julio, with a 7 in, diameter (My fave store bought, tortilla brand!)
1-2 Tbs Melted Butter
Cinnamon
Sugar
Flaked Coconut
Vanilla Ice-Cream- I used Breyers, its my FAVE store bought, ice-cream!
Oil- I used Canola Oil, about 2-3 Cups worth (enough to fill a saucepan 4 inches deep)
Caramel Syrup- Optional, but AMAZING
Chocolate Syrup- Optional but AMAZING
Whipped Cream- Optional

What You're Gonna Do!:

Take the melted butter and brush it across the tortilla. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on top.
Spinkle the flaked coconut over the tortilla. Take a small scoop of ice cream, roll it into a cylinder then top it right in the middle of the tortilla.
Fold the tortilla's sides together. (They must be touching or almost touching to help the ice cream from leaking out when it's getting fried!) Then roll up like a burritto!
Freeze for at least 30 minutes, hours if possible and for BEST results over night. (You can even make a ton of these at once, wrap individually in saran wrap and then place them into a Freezer safe Ziplock bag and eat them throughout the month!)
Let's talk FRYING! I used a small saucepan and filled it up with canola oil. You want the whole "ice-cream burritto" to be covered by the oil. You also want the oil to be REALLY hot. The idea is to drop it in and pull it out within seconds. (Mine took maybe 3 seconds!) You don't want it to be lingering in the oil, because the ice cream will MELT. =( So the hotter the oil the quicker it fries, the less melty the ice-cream! (I left my burner on the highest setting it could go!)
Like I said, just drop it in the hot oil, and pull it out as soon as it is golden brown! Place it on a fancy plate and drizzle with the caramel and chocolate syrups! Add a side of whipped cream if you wish!
Is this not the most creative Fried Ice-Cream you've ever seen!? And it's proabaly the best tasting too!
Eat it quickly, right out of the fryer, before the ice cream melts! (Meaning don't stand around and take pictures! lol)
I love that this recipe is sooo easy, that I can easily have all of the ingredients on hand, and that you can make just the amount that you will need. (Unlike something like a cake where it lingers/ tempts for days!)
As soon as Darren took a bite he exclaimed, "This is going in our recipe book! In the Mexican section!" Haha. And I guess it will! It's our new fave mexican "dish" and our new fave dessert!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this!! Oh my gosh! We were totally just talking about this! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete