Page Design

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Awesome Baby Shower Gift!

I LOVE Baby Showers!! I won't lie, I hope to get invited to them just because I have hundreds of ideas! Well I was lucky enough to go to my friend's baby shower last week. I have become a pro of putting together Diaper Cakes, which are really fun, but to make them "cute" I have easily spent $50- $60!! These kinds of gifts would bankrupt me, thus I only make them for family. I'm going to share with you what I put together for just $20, and could easily be much less depending on sales and the brands you choose.... or what you choose to put inside!
First let me share where I got my inspiration from! I like their idea too, but I wanted to make it a bit more over the top! Plus, people have their own diaper brand preferences. lol. http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=6764316
My version includes a large receiving blanket, 3 burp cloths and other items I like to have on hand in my diaper bag.
Here are the supplies I used!
1 large Bottle, a set of 2 Pacifiers, travel Q-Tips (I've seen in the Travel Isle and the Baby Isle), small Baby Lotion, small Diaper Powder (found in the Travel Isle), matching Ribbon, and a Silver Platter (from the Dollar Store).
You will need 1 1/3 yard of fabric for the receiving blanket and burp cloths. Also another 1/3 yard for the burp cloth's backing.
You will also need little items to assemble, such as sewing supplies, foam tape, some string, scissors, etc.
I made the receiving blanket with the dimensions 45x38. I used a CD (or DVD) to round the edges. I made it very simple. No backing. Just a single layer of flannel fabric. Sometimes simple is best! Then all I did was serge the edges to keep them from fraying. I don't actually have a serging machine, I just used a complicated zig zag stitch. :D (If you're not a sewer you can also just use a store bought receiving blanket. I would just suggest something thin.)
I was able to make 3 burp cloths out of the remaining fabric. The dimensions were 14x10! I found a coordinating fabric for the backing since burp cloths need the extra absorbency! I just layered the 2 fabrics and "serged" the edges. (Have you seen the burp cloths made out of cloth diaper? You could easily use those too!) (For simplicity you can just buy some baby washcloths instead!)
Once the burp cloths are finished, roll them up like so. (Fold in half lengthwise and roll up.) Use a rubberband, or string, around the middle to keep them in place.
Fold the blanket up so the width is the same length as the burp cloths.
This is how it will look when you're done folding the blanket!
Find the center of the blanket by holding both of the ends and placing 1 burp cloth inside.
Add in all 3 burp cloths!
Add in the large bottle and tie the top with string!
Now we are going to assemble the adorable bundle together! I used foam tape on the bottom of the items to keep them from slipping and sliding around.
Assemble the items inside the blanket!
Tie the pacifiers around the top and have them dangle on both sides. I used 1/4 inch ribbon!
Tie a BIG Bow right on top. I also hot glued mini bows to where the pacifiers were tied with ribbon!
VOILA!!!!!!! Put it on a silver platter and take it on over to the Momma To Be!

No comments:

Post a Comment