Page Design

Monday, April 2, 2012

Chevron Blanket


Who isn't on the Chevron band wagon yet!? I've been seing them EVERYWHERE lately and I just can't get enough! I've been in a blanket making mood and just couldn't resisit the opportunity to incorparate Chevron into Kaiden's Robot Travel Blankie!!
I had an image in my head of the robot fabric being BIG chevron and the coordinating colors being small chevron, so I came up with my own pattern, although I'm sure it's nothing new. =)
Warning: My grandmother saw what I was doing and said there was an easier way to do this, but after thinking about it for 2 days I couldn't see what she was talking about. So, maybe there is and I just can't see it, but this way was pretty easy and I have no complaints! =D I'm still pretty new at sewing/ quilting so nothing I make is perfect. Also my directions may be a bit jumbled, but you'll get the gist of it!
First I cut my Robot fabric. I cut it into 6.5 in. strips. Then I took half of those strips front side up and cut them on the 45 degree angle on my mat. Each strip is 9 in. long.
The other half of the strips, back side up, I cut on the 45 degree angle on my cutting mat.
Here is what half of each of my robot pieces looked like face up!
Then, I cut my thin color strips! I cut mine about 2.5 in. x 9 in. The tops and bottoms I cut on the 45 degree angle on my mat!
You will also need to cut a few robot squares in 6.5 in. x 6.5 in. squares. Then cut them in half diagonally. (You'll see why you need these in the next picture!)
This is how I planned my first quilt strip to look! (The tops and bottoms of each strip will have the cut squares!)
Here is the frist quilt strip (sewn) compared to the second quilt strip, going the opposite way (and not yet sewn.) You will repeat this pattern back and forth to get the chevron stripes going!
When sewing your quilt strips, depending on which strip you're sewing, you may need to overlap a 1/4 inch before you sew!
Once all your quilt strips are sewn, this is how you'll assemble the blanket!
This was my finished product! I added a 1 inch thick, black border and then added the yellow triangle trim! LOVE IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment