Page Design

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Flirty Apron



Do you ever wander around the fabric area, just to see if anything catches your eye? Well, I know I shouldn't cause I never really have the time to, but of course I always do. On this particular day I saw something that reminded me of my sister, Ashlea. Last year she was really into India and Elephants and the sort. This year she's all about Mexico, specifically Day of the Dead and Sugar Skulls. So I saw this and thought of her, plus her birthday is at the end of this month....... plus I have like a MILLION sewing patterns I want to try. And thus I made these:
I bought a pack of square pot holders and added a little fabric to them. So simple! Let me just say I'm only a beginner sewer. I kinda made this "pattern" up as I went along. If you know of an easier way let me know. =D
1. Flip your fabric so it's backwards and trace the pot holder. Try to trace about 1/4 inch away from the pot holder.
2. Pin your fabric where you want it so it stays in place; about 1 inch in. Then fold your fabric edges under and iron them down.
This is what mine looked like after I had ironed all 4 sides.
I think the edges were the hardest part of the project. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
Then sew about 1/8- 1/4 inch around the pot holder.
All Done!
And for the BIG gift, a Flirty Apron! Have you ever been to the website thedatingdivas.com? Well you should, it's filled with amazing date ideas and some crafts. That is where I got the inspiration for the following.
Cute, right!?
The only thing I changed was shortening the neck strap about 6 inches and adding velcro!
This is the back of the apron, by the way.
The other thing I did was cut out a skull from the pattern and sewed it onto the front pocket. First I added a little fabric glue, be careful not to do it to close to where you'll be sewing, then I sewed along the edges about 1/8-1/4 inch in.
Now that you're inspired, GO MAKE YOUR OWN!

No comments:

Post a Comment